Five Tips for a Safe Homecoming
September 22, 2023
Walk with a friend or in a group whenever possible.
There’s safety in numbers. Travel and park in well-lit areas, and wait for rides and friends in front of an open business or well-lit entrance.
If you came with them, leave with them.
You should always have a plan before getting to an event. Never leave by yourself. If you happen to leave with a different group of peers, let your friends know who you’re with and where you’ll be.
- Don’t leave an opportunity for sexual misconduct to occur. Remember the 5 D’s and be an active bystander.
Never leave home without your U Card
Even with all the festivities, you’ll need your U Card to enter many buildings on campus. Don’t let others tailgate behind you into buildings; remember to lock your doors.
- Your U Card is for you, only. Don’t lend it to others; keep it close, along with your wallet, cellphone, or handbag.
Ask "What's my name?" before you get in an Uber or Lyft
Use rideshare apps, Gopher Chauffeur, or a carpool to limit the amount of traffic on campus and ensure you get to your destination safely. Please take proper safety precautions if you plan to use those modes of transport.
- Tell a trusted friend your current location and anticipated destination.
- Check the vehicle make, model, and license plate before you get in.
- Utilize in-app safety features such as reporting unsafe drivers or live safety support.
If you see violence or feel a danger to your or anyone’s safety, call 911.
If you see something, say something. UMPD will be patrolling the area to help everyone safely celebrate.